Keeping the kids reading this summer is important, and it just became a little bit easier. Barnes & Noble's Summer Reading Program is offering kids in grades 1 through 6 a free book just for completing a reading journal and filling in eight titles. Though the free book isn't redeemable until July 1, kids can begin reading and filling out their journal now by downloading this free printable journal at Barnes & Noble.
Free for kids
Barnes & Noble's Summer Reading Program lets kids earn a free book by reading eight different books and completing a short journal by August 31. Redemption doesn't begin until July 1, but kids can start their journals now!
Limited Time Only
The best part about Barnes & Noble's Summer Reading Program is that there isn't any special list of books kids will need to read from to fill out the journal properly. Kids can pick any book and read at their own pace. The journal is simple enough for them to complete on their own as well, as it just requires the title and author of the book they've read along with writing down their favorite part of the story.
Once eight titles have been read and the journal has been completely filled out, parents can bring the completed sheet to Barnes & Noble between July 1 and August 31 to redeem it for a free children's book. The printable journal has the full list of books that can be redeemed for free with this offer, though some of our favorite picks include:
- Malala: My Story of Standing Up for Girls' Rights by Malala Yousafzai
- Bad Kitty Gets a Bath by Nick Bruel
- Slappy Birthday to You: Goosebumps SlappyWorld #1 by R. L. Stine
- Sideways Stories from Wayside School by Louis Sachar
- Ramona Quimby, Age 8 by Beverly Cleary
- A Bear Called Paddington by Michael Bond
- The Secret Garden: Special Edition by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- A Wrinkle in Time: B&N Exclusive Edition by Madeleine L'Engle
- The Genius Experiment by James Patterson and Chris Grabenstein
- The Magic Misfits by Neil Patrick Harris
- Ungifted by Gordon Korman
Amazon's FreeTime Unlimited offers access to tons of stories if you don't have enough entertaining books at home for your child to finish their journal. It starts at just $2.99 per month and also features kid-friendly TV shows and movies, games, and more to keep the children busy and learning with age-appropriate content.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.